day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Friday, May 13, 2005

Need...

There are days when being a parent pays off. Today was one of those days.

Sophia has been changing her schedule and sleeping in a bit in the morning (this is nice for mommy). I got a call from a friend asking Sophia and I to come out and play. When Sophia got up I still needed my shower, so I let her stay in her crib and gave her some milk and toys to keep her happy until I was ready to get her dressed. After my shower I was rushing around trying to get myself ready before dressing her. She started to cry, so I asked her what was wrong. She said back to me, "I can't touch you." Well that was all I needed. I immediately stopped what I was doing and held her. This must have been what she needed, because she stopped crying right away.

She needed me. How many times has somebody really needed me in my life? Oh sure, my bosses may have needed me for a project or Bob may have needed my help for something around the house, but Sophia really needed me. She just wanted me to hold her. That cuddle may have been the most precious gift I have ever received in my life.

I love watching Sophia grow. Sometimes, it makes me a bit sad to realize that she is growing up and is no longer a little baby, but a little girl. She has recently started speaking in sentences. When babies start to speak it is just a babble or a coo, then a word and then a sentence. What a miraculous chain of events! When I compare her to other kids of similar age, she seems very advanced, so maybe Bob and I are finally doing something right for a change. Whatever the case may be, I know that we are taking on the most important project in our lives and the pay off is better than that of any job we have ever held.

Be safe and be well!

Have sweet dreams!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

I love this story! I love how clearly Sophia articulated her need, and how simple it was. Children are such beautiful little examples of the best of humanity.

And you and Bob have done MANY things "right" in your lives . . . I have known you both long enough to testify to your generous spirits and your kind hearts. I also love how Sophia has consistently brought out the best in both of you . . . and how parenting is this great adventure that you have undertaken with as much enthusiasm as anyone could have hoped you would feel and demonstrate.

The conscious awareness of your blessings in having Sophia and having all these rich experiences with and because of her is such a gift. I am so glad you write about it, because I enjoy reading about it.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

You really are sharing some powerful stuff on your blog, Linda!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home