day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Miami baby...

Well I made it. I am here in sunny Florida. I have to admit that I was very scared to fly and to leave Sophia. I was proud of myself though, I only got a bit teary eyed when I left her at the airport. TSA was so backed up that I thought I would miss my flight, so I had no time for tears. That was probably the best thing that could have happened.

I got on the plane and was waiting to see who my seatmates would be when a man and his almost two year old daughter sat down beside me. He apologized and said that he would try to get another seat. I told him that I was glad to have his daughter sit beside me, because I left my daughter at the airport. I made friends with the girl and she sat on my lap part of the flight so that she could look out the window. It is funny how this little girl helped me through the flight. She fulfilled my mothering need. At the end of the flight I helped the girl's father carry some things through the airport and met up with Bob. The father told Bob that I had been his savior. I guess I helped the father as much as the daughter had helped me.

The first day down here we went to Key Biscayne to see the light house and to swim. It was georgeous there. On the way back, I got a nice view of the Miami skyline. In the evening we went down to South Beach. The air was warm, the moon was shining brightly and the sights and sounds were mesmerizing. I have never seen such beautiful people in my life. Even though I felt a bit out of place it was hard to leave such a wonderful place. Here is a shot of the moon over Miami Beach.



On Saturday we went to Miami Beach for the day. The water was warm and beautiful. There was a sandbar about 75 to 100 feet off-shore which was a great place to just sit and watch people and talk to Bob. We found some really cool shells to take home for Sophia. The beach here is so much different than they are in Maryland. First of all, you see alot of people in thongs and many women lay on the beach topless. I have only seen that in Punta Cana, but I am not very well traveled. Secondly, the water is very calm and clear. I could have stayed in the water all day. It is also great to see the palm trees running up and down the beach. Here is a picture of the beach.



Saturday evening we went and walked around Coral Gables. The buildings and houses in this area are beautiful. This is the Biltmore Hotel.



That brings me to today. For most of my life I have loved animals and nature. Today I fulfilled a lifelong dream of going to Everglades National Park. It was so different that I had expected. The plant life was amazing. There were swamps, forests, and areas that looked like African savannahs. There were ferns and moss growing on trees. We went on a boat ride and were able to see some crocodiles. They are not as common as the alligator. Our guide said that there are about 40,000 alligators in the Everglades. On one trail we saw at least 25. Wow, what an amazing day. The only bad thing that happened was that I did not wear sun screen and am now beet red from being out for about an hour or so. I hate to be sunburned.




Tomorrow we are driving through the Keys down to Key West. On the way we are going to check out some lighthouses and go snorkeling. On Tuesday we are taking a ferry to the Dry Tortugas. I will tell you all about that when we get back. I think I will have a good bit to tell you about.

I hope you are all well!

Have a wonderful night!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Sounds WONDERFUL, and I am so glad you made it in one piece. Enjoy your trip. Can't wait to see more photos!

7:28 AM  
Blogger The Management said...

Can I be you.... PLEASE... I need to be in the Tropics..

Anyway... More PIX... I need to use them to pretend I'm taking your trip.

Otter

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home