day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Ups and downs...

Sophia is 20 months old. Did you know that the average 20 month old can learn a new word every 90 minutes. I think Sophia is doing a great job at learning new things. It is hard for me to explain, but I get a real sense of pride when somebody comments on her vocabulary. I think she is a genius, but that might be because I am her mother.

I think that I had noted before that she had started swimming lessons. The first two classes she did great, but the last two have been horrible. She cries and when I put her on the side of the pool to jump in, she lifts her feet so they are not touching. I guess she figures if her feet are in the air, she will not have to jump. That is a pretty good assessment. I am not sure what is going on. Recently (over the last month), she has been getting more and more nervous about new people. This is very normal and I think that this may be why she is freaking out during her lessons. Oh well, she only has three more classes to go. I think she will be much happier when she can swim at her grandparents house with no strangers in site.

This weekend we are taking Sophia on her first camping trip. It should be an adventure. We also are taking our dog, Katie, along. So we will have opposite ends of the spectrum with us, a fast 20 month old and a very slow 15 year old dog. Actually, I think it will be great for both of them. Bob and I have been camping since we started dating 15 years ago. We both love it and hope that Sopia will love it too!

Parenthood it seems is full of ups and downs. My happiest times are when Sophia is accomplishing things or when she is just having fun. There is no greater joy than the laughter of a child, especially when the child is your own. We have started a new thing with Sophia. At night after she has her bath, we sit with her on our bed and read several books. This seems to be a great way for her to unwind and a very nice time for us to spend with her. This ultimately leads to jumping on the bed and this can be quite scary, because you are terrified that she will fall off (which she did at her grandparents the other day). There is so much personally invested in her that even the smallest tumble can make a me a nervous wreck. I watch her run and hope that she does not fall. Sometimes she does and I do my best to teach her to dust herself off and get back out there to play, even though my heart is saying "that's enough let's go in before you get hurt worse."

The last two years have been a time for learning for me. It is hard for me to find the line between Sophia's life and my own. I try very hard not to be one of those moms who only talks about her kid (this site excluded), but sometimes that is very hard. It is funny how relationships with other adults change after a baby arrives, especially when most of your friends and acquaintances have no children. I have a harder time in social situations than I ever have. I think that this is because, my life seems rather boring to others or maybe I just think that it does. This is very hard for me, because I have always been very talkative and outgoing. I guess it just takes time to adjust, but I hope that I adjust sometime soon, as I am feeling left behind at times. I am sure that every parent goes through this, so I will wait it out. And if you should see my "self" out there, tell "me" to come home, I am looking for her.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Your blog should come with a Kleenex warning. Either I am the EMPRESS of the saps, or I am particularly sensitive today, but this entry made me cry. At my desk. At work. Violating all of my rules about tears in the office.

I think your self-awareness of your own evolution as Sophia's parent is a beautiful thing. I love that you are so attuned to how your love and care for her has changed so much about your life. I don't think a facet of yourself is missing, Linda . . . I think it's grown up in a different way. It's just changed so much, it seems to be absent. It's still there. And it's the furthest thing from boring or lagging behind. I think you've embarked on a fabulous adventure as Sophia's mom, and I am so excited to have known you before and after. You've always been one of my favorite people, and I love seeing how this little angel that you and Bob have brought into the world will get to grow up with your influence.

I think I'm a sympathetic mother --- although I don't have children. Kind of like the way that some people get sick, sympathetically, when people around them are sick. Okay, that's not exactly what I meant by that . . . but hopefully, you get the idea. I mean that I totally enjoy when people gush about their kids. I never thought I'd be like that. I even encourage it and am very disappointed when I don't get updated photos and stories immediately. Now I understand, from you post, why some parents might hesitate and downright avoid offering such things to their single, child-free friends; they might not want to come across as an annoying parent. I say, bring it on! I love to hear all the stories and see how much my friends are enjoying their parenting experience. It's cool, man. It's the circle of life. It's the inevitable progression of maturity. It's widening the breadth and depth of love. It's cool. It's really cool.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

She IS a genius! I attest to this young lady's rapidly-forming vocabulary! Her grasp of phonetics is amazing. Go ahead, test her...ask her to say something and she will...I was floored when she said rock 'n roll, though I'm sure mommy and daddy had a nice stake it that too!

I'm quite happy for you guys, Linda.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home