day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 15, 2007

I will figure it out...

So here is Nicholas. He will be seven weeks on Tuesday. It is hard to believe. He can really hold his head up now, but I am still a bit nervous about him doing it on his own.

We are planning his Christening. We are inviting about 100 people, but of course a bunch of people probably will not be able to make it. I love planning a party, but hate spending the money. We are going to have Subway do monster subs for us and we are going to make our own salads (probably pasta, potato, fruit, and caesar salads and cole slaw). It will be a bunch of work ahead of time, but easier the day of because I don't have to worry about hot food. For Sophia's Christening we had about 70 people to the church and about 60 for the reception after and we made the food ourselves and it was a bunch of work, so this time even though we have the potential to have more people, the workload will be less.

On a very good note, Sophia is such a good big sister. Nicholas knows her voice and looks for her when he hears her. I think he looks for her more than Bob or me. Last night we were coming back from my in-laws and Nicholas was screaming, Sophia was talking to him in this sweet little calm voice trying to make him happy. It did not work, but I loved her for trying. She is still pretty hyper, but I think that she has improved somewhat since Nicholas has arrived. Her teachers have even commented on this. Maybe it gives her something else to focus on.

She got a progress report from preschool and did very well. The only problems that she had were on fine motor skills like; holding a pencil, cutting, etc.. We feel that this is due to the fact that she is left handed. I think that watching other people write and cut and then trying to do it herself, confuses her. I would love to have another lefty sit down with her a few times. I think it would help.

I am still not used to having two kids yet. I hope that I get things under control soon. I know it will happen and I need to be patient, but it is hard to be patient when there are days that you can't even take a shower (which is yucky, by the way). I have to pay homage to those mothers who have had more kids than me, my hat is off to you. Please send some tips my way. Honestly, part of the problem is the dog. I can leave Sophia alone with him, but I can not leave Nicholas alone with Sophia or the dog. Most days that I do get a shower, Nicholas is in the bathroom with me in his bouncy seat.

So that is about it right now. I continue to figure things out. I am sure that every parent goes through this, but it can be discouraging. I am thankful that Bob is an involved Dad, because I would go insane if he was not. I look forward to when he gets home from work, so that he can take one of the kids. I see a stronger bond growing between Sophia and Bob because of this and I think it is a wonderful thing. All kids need to love and be loved by their Daddies.

I hope that you are all well.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If I lived where you do, I would sit down with Sophia! I'm a lefty (actually, everyone in my family except Mama is a lefty!) and it really ends up not being any problem except when you start elbowing people at dinners! :-) Nicholas is so cute...all that hair! Looks like you're doing a great job.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Linda,

You are totally amazing, and you are doing an incredible job, even when you haven't showered. In fact, foregoing a shower is a supreme sacrifice that some mothers would never make (which is why I am in therapy!). I admire the choices that you have made . . . I definitely don't have the courage to do some of the things you do. I sometimes think I could mother one, but two?! Madness. You are THE WOMAN.

Hang in there! You're doing great.

11:18 PM  
Blogger ChristyTN said...

Yay for Sophia! I knew that she would be a great big sister. It's very sweet and caring that she was trying to make her little brother happy.

We're not sure if MG is going to be a lefty or not. She uses both hands, but writes numbers backwards when she tries to use her left hand. We ought to get Mark to sit down with her since he's a lefty. Come to think of it, we think MG could be getting a little confused because Mark has been writing with her alot. Oh my!

I know exactly what you're going through with having to be stinky all day! I had many "baby-wipe showers". I know it's really hard the first year. The kids have so many needs, so I was always getting those taken care of and before I knew it it was already bedtime. You're doing a wonderful job, and it really does get easier.

Your little guy is such a cutie! He's growing so fast! I was recently in a store with Metal Boy and he was being admired by a mother and her 20 year old son. And she kept saying "Look! They grow up so fast! I can't believe mine is 20 already!" :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Mimi - I had to laugh about the poor put upon left handers. Are you saying Sophia will always have this attitude?? HA HA HA

Claire - My husband and I both thought it so interesting that you and most of your family are leftys. You must come from a very bright and creative family, since that is what they say about left-handers. Thanks for the compliments about Nicholas, we think he is cute, too!

Brandy - Thanks as always, I know I can always find you in my cheering section.

Christy - I had to laugh about the "baby wipe shower". You are not the only mother I have heard this from.

Sophia really surprised me, because if there was ever an only child it was her. She was so totally spoiled, but she is doing amazingly well.

Nicholas may give MB a run for his money, you will have to let me know what he weighed at Nicholas' age.

Sophia did the two hand thing for awhile and still does. I think it usually ends being the hand that they end up with when using both. Sophia always started with her right, but would end up with the left. It is frustrating not to be able to help her.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Bob told me how well Sophia is taking to Nicholas and that's the best part aside from the chemistry between you all

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home