day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Pope...

It is about 2:45 in the morning. I am sitting here awake, because my stomach hurts and Sophia is awake. I am in my living room watching Headline News waiting for any new news regarding the Pope. He is dying and it is strange how the death of this man will affect many around the world.

I was not born into a Catholic family, but converted shortly before I was married. I was raised in a Methodist home and attended church weekly, but was never really comfortable with the "Peyton Place" attitude of the people who attended my church. After leaving home at 17, I stopped attending any kind of church service. I met my future husband when I was 19 and started to attend Catholic church with him. I found the service to be beautiful and inviting. I never really felt that way about the church that I grew up in.

The Catholics were always a mystery to me. It was my lack of education that made me feel this way. Other Christian religions looked on the Catholics as "bead rubbers" and "idol worshippers". I find this to be hilarious. The "idol worship" refers to the fact that many Catholic churches have statues of saints. I try to explain to outsiders that these statues are there so that you can pray for that particular saint's assistance. They are not worshipped, but spoke to like you may speak to somebody important to you that has passed away. They are sort of like a friend who is looking out for you. This can be very comforting if you are feeling alone with no place to turn.

I won't bore you with a history of the Pope, because I feel that we will be inundated with info about him over the next few days. In my mind there are no appropriate words to describe the greatness of this man. I know that I am not alone when I say that his death will be greatly mourned.

Well it is now 3:20 and I am tired. Sophia is still awake. She has been waking up the last few nights. I hate this. I am one of those people who needs uninterrupted sleep to feel well rested. Between her and this stomach crap, it has been days since I have slept good. I should not complain, because some people never get a good night's rest. I guess I have been extremely spoiled.

Well I hope that you are all sound asleep and dreaming wonderful dreams. Hopefully, I will be soon.

Have a great morning!

5 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I get a kick out of the "idol worshiper" thing as well. As a kid, I never heard this. As an adult, when I heard it for the first time, I had to laugh. It's such a silly misunderstanding. Another important aspect of the saints is that they provide a human example of living according to God's Will. It shows us that regular people, often living seemingly ordinary lives, have achieved greatness in a way that we don't often see. It reminds us of our own call to sainthood.

As I think of the Pope in what is likely the last hours of his life, I have to keep reminding myself that he is not calling me to be sad, but he is now calling me as always to be good.

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's an article in The Sun this morning titled "Out of silence, a melody rises" that is about the people who are there in Vatican City praying. It is a touching article.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

I am sorry for your ongoing gastrointestinal distress. I hope it clears up soon, and if it doesn't, I hope you get yourself some medical attention soon. That can't be comfortable or good.

Okay. Can someone please tell me if they read this post and if they have any insight about the origins of the hammer thing?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I heard about the hammer thing on CNN, so I looked it up. The article states that it is unclear if this ritual is still practiced.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

My link did not work, so I will try again.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home