day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Fathers...

As I am sure you know today is Father's Day. Happy Father's Day if you are a father!

Today made me think about what it means to be a father. Until I met Bob I had very few examples of what a good father is. My birth father has never been present in my life, my first step-father was abusive and my second step-father was clueless about what it meant to be a father.

My Grandfather was a good man. He put up with crap from everybody. He always made time for me, for which I will be eternally grateful. He was a simple man, but gave of himself when he could. I have many wonderful memories of him. Bob's grandfather is also a great man. Even though he may disagree with you at times, he always seems willing to listen to your point of view. He enjoys his family and lights up when he sees any of his grandchildren including his great-grandchildren, like Sophia.

I would have to say that at this point in my life, Bob's father is the closest thing to a true father that I have ever had. I remember getting yelled at before Bob and I were married. He treated me no different than Bob and still doesn't to this day. He has given me fatherly advice when there was nobody else there to offer it. He has always been willing to lend a helping hand. Most of all, he has been a really terrific grandfather to Sophia. It is like he was waiting for her all of his life. It is to him that I offer up my best Father's Day wishes and thank him for being there.

Bob is also a wonderful father to Sophia. I hope that she knows how lucky she is. He works so that I can stay home to be with her, even though I know there are many days when he wishes I was the one working and he was the one staying home. I know that he will always be a great father. He has so much knowledge to share and I know that he will be glad when she has a thing or two to teach him. I love to watch him with her and am glad that he is her father.

So what does being a good father mean to me? First, a father is somebody who is there to share in the good times and the bad. He is there teach you right from wrong and to tell you about the world. He is there to listen and maybe learn a thing or two. A father treats you like you are special and that there is nobody else like you in the world. A father makes sacrifices. A good father is thankful for his family.

Thanks to those men who have what it takes to be a great father!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

It sounds like Sophia has brought you and Bob, and your in-laws, closer than ever. What a little gift she is!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I can honestly say my stepfather considers me his best friend. I know it to be true and I owe him much for having the courage to raise me in a post-divorce situation where I was an insecure dork, liar and overall problematic kid. I'd be jack without him.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home