day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

High of 90...

Last Thursday the local kids got out of school for the summer. With the temperature already at 90 and the humidity high, I can truly say that summer has arrived in Maryland.


I think about when I was a kid and how that last few days of school were a total waste. We did nothing, learned nothing new and only daydreamed about the summer weeks that lay ahead. When school finally got out you spent most of your days outside. I can remember staying outside from the time I woke up until I went to bed. I remember the hot, humid nights spent laying in my own sweat, because we had no air conditioning. I remember one of the greatest joys of summer was to run through a lawn sprinkler. It was a simpler time.


Now as I drive down the street in the middle of summer. I barely see any kids outside. I wonder what they could be doing, but then I already know. They are plopped down in front of their televisions, watching TV or playing video games. It is no wonder that obesity is on the rise in America.

I do have a tendency to stay inside during the hottest part of the day and then go out in the evening. This is nice for a few reasons. First, it is not so stinking hot that I feel like I am going to melt. Second, Sophia's best playmate is home from day care. Third, some other adults are home and it gives me somebody to talk to. Sophia loves this time of the day. She wishes that her playmate could come and stay with us during the day so that they could be together all of the time.

We sometimes take walks in the evening. I would say half of the time it is Bob, Sophia, Sophia's buddy, Nicholas and me. We walk to the Snowball stand that is about a half a mile away and then come home. I have found joy recently in sugar-free Bahama Mama snowballs. The other night it had literally started to get dark by the time we left our house. This was fine though, because it was very cool and the moon was out. Sophia and her friend were holding hands in the double stroller and talking. It was so fun to watch them together. By the way, Sophia's best friend is a boy. Bob jokes that he is going to have to keep his eye on him.

I hope that our kids will look back on this someday and think that it was a fun time in their life. I don't have memories like this with my parents, so I want to make sure that my kids do.

I am sorry for the delay in posting. I know that I should post more often, but what can I say I am a slacker. I try to get around to read everybody else's blogs, but then have little time to post to my own. I actually started this post several days ago, but did not get a chance to come back to it until today. Hopefully, I can get my act together and write more frequently.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

I love your posts. I think you are very right about building beautiful memories for your children. They will look back on things like this and remember being happy and content and having a good time. I look at my other friends with older children, and they are giving their kids the same thing --- a childhood different from what they had. It's beautiful to see their kids be carefree and happy, knowing that the gift their parents are giving is just that --- a childhood. Keep doing what you're doing, because as Sophia and Nicholas grow and mature, you will see the seeds you're planting take root and flower in unexpected and lovely ways. It's going to be so much fun to see how they grow up, in such a different environment than you had. You are such a good Mom!

1:08 PM  
Blogger ChristyTN said...

That's sweet about Sophia and her little friend. When I was three, my best friend was a boy named Shannon. He had curly brown hair that fascinated me because mine was so straight. I remember when we sprinkled salt all over the kitchen table and licked it off. Yuck! Then he moved away & I didn't see him for years. In sixth grade, he moved back & was in my class at school. He was always such a nice kid even when we went to high school.

Those memories are important. Summers are so different now for kids. I remember that our whole neighborhood of kids would be outside riding bikes and playing together. Now you really don't see kids outside as much.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sprinklers and on really hot days, the fire department would open the hydrant by my house. Late nights playing kick the can, the whole neighborhood in on the game. Its not even safe to do that anymore. Thanks for the memories Linda!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not get my act together to write more which is why I announced my summer break.

I remember summer like you do. The last few days of school were fun goof off time. And the summer was endless fun. And school started AFTER Labor Day. Until high school when it started in Aug. But they had to let us go early most days cause it was hot and we had no ac. I don't remember it getting as hot and humid when I was younger though. I don't like that the kids are in watching tv and playing video games since they do that all day everyday practically. But some days I can't blame them. Many days I won't take Binker out till evening. I just can't breathe in the humidity.

I hope your having fun with the family:) Take care!:)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope you're not too hot around there! I've been wanting a Sno-Biz (shaved ice thing) for a while but can't find one near me and I don't have much time right now...working about 12 hour days.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope all is well!:)

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home