day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Barbie...

When I was a kid, I never really played with Barbies. In fact, I never owned one. I am not sure why this happened, but my parents had limited funds and maybe that was the reason why. I probably would have played with them, but never had the opportunity. My best friends growing up were twins. They had everything Barbie. They had the Dream House, a pool to go with the house, a camper and tons of Barbie fashions. If it was a Barbie accessory, they probably had it. I was jealous of them for this reason. It was not rational, buy hey I was a kid and kids get jealous.

Saturday, Sophia's Grammy bought her a green Barbie Volkswagen Beetle. First you must know that Sophia is totally in love with cars right now, especially Volkswagens, so it is perfect for her. She had a Barbie that somebody had given her when she was born, so Bob found the Barbie and gave it to her. This Barbie had on a princess dress that I felt would not do for driving a VW Bug, so I went to Target and bought her a set of Barbies clothes.

Last night we finally opened the package of clothing, Sophia was so excited and to be honest so was I. We started dressing Barbie and the stinking clothes don't fit very well and when you read the fine print on the back of the package it states, "Fashions fit most Barbie dolls." Not only did they not fit well, they started to rip. I was more disappointed in this than Sophia. I must say that Barbie has some hips and it is hard to put pants on her.

This morning she saw the Barbie and the VW sitting there and started to play with them both. Barbie, of course, could not wear what she was wearing and had to change her clothes before going on a trip. I helped Sophia change the clothes and then pack the little Barbie suitcase with another outfit for her journey. Sophia loads Barbie into the car and she was off. Her car trip lasted all of about a minute when it was time to change her clothes again. Of course, Sophia, needs my help with this task, because the clothes are so hard to deal with. Anyway, she looked so happy while trying to dress Barbie and it made me realize that she really is growing up so fast. I had to smile as I watched her on the floor sitting on her knees trying like hell to get Barbie into her car.

I thought about my own childhood again. Did I miss much not having Barbies? I will never know. I might have missed some frustration, but maybe I missed a sort of rite of passage for girls. At least now I can sort of live through my own little girl and be excited for her.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

OMG. I am so excited for you both. Barbie was a huge part of my childhood. I had "Superstar Barbie," from the 70s, that gorgeous disco diva Barbie that I had to procure, over the past couple of years, from eBay to reclaim my childhood. Anyway, Barbie was just such the vehicle of so many of my dreams and fantasies, and she actually lived out my Mom's failed marriage(s) . . . she was just a huge fixture of my childhood.

I can't imagine a little girl not having a Barbie. I am so glad you get to reclaim this part of your childhood through Sophia's fun experience. It's very healing.

3:55 PM  
Blogger ChristyTN said...

I have to confess that I like to go down the Barbie aisle when we're in the toy section... even though MG doesn't care for Barbies or dolls as of yet. It's amazing to see all the different characters from books and movies! A few years ago I bought the Super Hero Barbie series because I always wanted a super hero doll as a little girl! :)

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home