day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 04, 2005

It seems that since Sophia is more active this year we spend more time outside than we ever have. We go out and play in the pool and her playhouse during the day and at night we go out under the stars and look at lightning bugs (sometimes bats) and walk around. Having Sophia around has made me remember what it was like when I was a kid. I remember being out just when it got dark collecting lightning bugs and placing them in mason jars with holes in the top so that the bugs could breath.

This weekend was a great weekend. We had to go to a family party yesterday and there is always a certain amount of stress with that, but Sophia made me forget all about the trivial family stuff that I normally deal with. She had a ball watching other kids and dancing. She walked right up to these ladies and started dancing with them. It was so funny and she was a big hit.

Today we had to go visit a friend who had lost his mother on Friday. It was sad to think about his mother being gone as we had been to her house for a couple of 4th of July parties. When I think of her I smile. She never judged us for the things we did and I think that in some ways she may have wanted to join in.

After leaving our friends we went to Bob's parents the rest of the day and hung out with them and Sophia's godparents. We ate some awesome food, swam and then when it was dark, lit off some fireworks. Of course the mosquitoes were in full swing, but a little "Off" spray took care of that. To quote Sophia's Godfather, "Ah the smell of summer; deet and sulfur." I couldn't have said it any better.

When we were done with the fireworks, we stood for a few seconds and watched the lightning bugs. I don't think that they will ever stop fascinating me and when they do, it may be time for me to check out. I think that they will always make me think of childhood. I hope that one day Sophia will be standing in the same place that I was tonight thinking the same thing. I hope that she will always remember her childhood with happy thoughts.

Happy 4th of July!!! Peace to you Miss Jeanne!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home