day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Oh what a night...

Last night I had a meeting to attend and when I came out around 8:50 my phone rang and it was Bob. He told me that he had Sophia at the playground and she fell (going up a sliding board) and split her chin open. He called the pediatrician and they said to take her to the emergency room. I told him I would meet him there and left to do so.

I was at my meeting with Bob's mom, so she followed me to the hospital and I called Bob's dad on the way and he was going to meet us there, also. So there were four cars for one child's trip to the emergency room. We always joke that Sophia travels with a posse.

It was about 9:30 until we got to the hospital, which about Sophia's normal bedtime. She was already tired, but we were not prepared to not see a doctor until about midnight. There were so many kids there that seemed to be in the same predicament as Sophia. The little boy next to us had the same injury, but you would have thought that he was being killed he screamed so much. Poor little guy!

The nurse had told us that they might be able to glue the injury, but when the doctor got in, he said the cut was too deep and would need a few stitches. So they wrapped Sophia up like a mummy in a blanket and laid her on this thing called a Papoose Board which immobilized her. They laid a cloth over her head that had a hole over the injury and started working. They started injecting the numbing medicine and she was fine for about the first two and then started to cry and then I started to cry for her, so I had to turn away. Thankfully, it went rather quickly and even though she was upset she listened to what they told her and it was over in a matter of 10-15 minutes. She ended up with three stitches.

I was so proud of her, she was such a trooper. They gave her a bunch of stickers, a coloring book and a new blanket. It definitely could have been much worse!! I am so tired today since we did not get in until about 1:15. It is now 10:15 and I think Sophia is just waking up. She needed to sleep.

Anyway, have a terrific day!

6 Comments:

Blogger ChristyTN said...

I'm so glad that Sophia is ok. Even a small boo-boo makes me go weak in the knees, so I know a more serious one must have been very scary.

J. skinned and bloodied both knees a few weeks ago. After that, I went to Wal-mart and bought a big first aid kit and two additional boxes of band-aids.

Now when J. gets a boo-boo, she wants to wear the band-aids forever. She enjoys "showing off" her boo-boos to Maw-maw and Pap-pap.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Christy - Kids really seem to love band-aids. Sophia had a pirate one, but it came off and then we went to the store and she had to get some Dora ones. They wear them like a banner of honor.

Mimi - Welcome! I was born in Baltimore, but grew up in PA and I could not wait to get back here after high school. I love it, but it is so expensive!!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

I am so sorry your princess had an injury. What a nightmare. I split my chin open in 1st grade falling off the schoolbus in the morning on the way into school. I WAILED when they told me I needed stitches. I think every kid ends up with the requisite chin scar; it's a rite of passage. I think she handled it very bravely, and so did you, Mom!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Kid Handsome said...

Maybe Sophia can approach my level of uncoordination and bust her chin open 5 times (three sets of stitches, two sets of butterfly bandages - they didn't have the glue back in my day).

Anyway, haven't been over to this site in quite a while, but I like the changes you've made. It somehow fits your style and topical matter better than the old template.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

KH - Dude, you were uncoordinated. Your parents must have gotten over those emergency room jitters quite early in your life. I have a feeling this will not be our last trip for Sophia!!

I actually want to change things again. I have to think about design and then get my act together!!!

Heard you guys moved! Hope you guys enjoy your new digs!!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Kid Handsome said...

All of the incidents were easily explainable (for example, never run up wooden stairs in only a pair of socks). Though if I existed as a child today, social services would have been all over my parents.

I think I didn't develop fear in any real sense until I got older. I did some stupid stuff.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home