day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday, March 05, 2007

Family...


Sophia is, as I have said, very good to her little brother. I hope that she will stay that way, but I know that like everything else, people change. I put this picture up of the kids, so that you guys could see her beautiful eyes. She gets compliments on them quite a bit. Nicholas, I think, will have my eye color, which is hazel. Sophia's really are hazel too, but instead of changing between brown and green, hers change between blue and green. My husband's eyes are the same. Eyes are one thing that I always notice about people. I have been known, under the influence, to tell people how much I like their eyes. I love to see somebody with dark hair and blue eyes. The dark hair makes their eyes stand out. Our eyes are precious and we should be thankful for them every day.

I have been thinking about my grandmother's quite a bit recently. My father's mother's birthday would have been February 24 and she would have been 79. My mother's mother's birthday would have been March 2 and she would have been 90. I have not posted here in awhile, because I have been working on a few projects related to my grandmothers.

First, just a bit of info about myself. I was adopted by my stepfather when I was 4 or 5 years old and never grew up knowing my real father's mother. When I was 14 we reconnected and by the time my grandmother passed away March 17, 2000, we were very close. I felt that we had lost a good bit of time together, but managed to make up for it. I know that my grandmother was very sad about not being able to watch me grow up. In 1994 I gave my grandmother this little book called "Grandma, Tell Me Your Memories...". Basically there was a page for each day of the year and each day had a question about my grandmother's life. At the end of 1994 she gave it back to me filled with her answers. The one project I am working on is to take her handwritten information and type it, so that I can share with others. I am only up to March 9. Sometimes, it is hard to write, because I think about her being gone. I wanted to have it done by now, but with the kids, it is a near impossible task at times.

The second thing I am working on has to do with both Grandmothers and my Grandfathers and all my family who came before me. I am working on tracing my genealogy. This is not an easy task either. I work on this sometimes after both kids have gone to sleep at night. It is interesting to see what people did (in my case, most were farmers), to see how big their families were and to see what they were worth.

Both of these projects may take me a while to finish (the genealogy will probably never be done), but it helps me to use my brain. Sometimes, I feel like my brain has turned to mush, that is one bad thing about being a stay at home mom. Even though I get around other people, we have a tendency to talk about our kids and nothing too heavy or thoughtful, so these are both good tasks to give my brain a little workout.

I have not been as lazy as it seems then. I look at everybody's blog just about every day. Well that it about it for now. I will leave you with a little picture of my ever growing boy. Happiness to you all.


6 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

I like the pictures.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This will be really neat when you get finished. I think I gave my grandmother one of those books; she looked at it and said "What am I supposed to do with this?" I don't think she ever filled it out. However, over Thanksgiving for several years, one of my aunts asked her lots of questions about her family, so we were able to learn about them before Monday.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG OMG! Soooooooo cute! I too love dark hair with blue eyes.

Geneology is neat, but a task that does take a lot o ftime. Good luck!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

What a great idea having your granmother write down all her memories. I wish someone had done that with my grandmothers, both of which passed away before I was born. Nicholas is getting so big! What a couple of cuties your kids are.

2:17 PM  
Blogger ChristyTN said...

Hi Linda. Do you know about the Heritage Quest database that you can access through our library? I've used it for some genealogy research.

That really is wonderful that you have your grandmother's memories written down. I miss my grandmother too. I need to write down things she has told me.

Mark's mother has made tape recordings of her family history. That was such a smart thing to do!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Mark - Thanks. I love to take pictures of the kids, but I often forget to do it.

Claire - I am so thankful that my grandmother decided to fill the book out. I think she enjoyed doing it. I miss her every day. I am sure you are feeling the same right now.

Mimi - Thanks. It seems that they are growing so fast.

Geneology does take time and even more patience.

Kat - I missed so much time with this grandmother that I am glad she wrote stuff down. On my mom's side, I was the first granddaughter and very loved by my grandmother. Her first name was Ludelle, which is my mother's middle name, my middle name and one of Sophia's middle names.

Nicholas is a little hunk. His smiles are almost as big as he is. I need to work on getting a picture of that for you guys.

Christy - I had actually given HeritageQuest a look the other evening. I use familysearch.org and ancestry.com.

Mark's mom is a smart lady, I might need to use her idea with Bob's parents. Sophia also loved her great grandfather. I try to get their picture together when I can. She is so lucky to have him. I actually had a great grandparent until I was a senior in high school. I was also fortunate to have all of my grandparents until I was 26, but since then they have all passed away. I miss them all in their own way.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home