day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Just say no...

I went to Fudruckers with some other moms yesterday for lunch. As usual, it was a zoo. Kids everywhere, wanting everything. I like all of the kids that Sophia plays with, but some are definitely spoiled. They get whatever they want and will continue to ask for what they want, until they get it. It really gets on my nerves.

We try really hard not to let Sophia get this way. While I admit she can be very spoiled at times, we do try to keep her under wraps. There are many times that I simply tell her "no" because I want her to hear the word. We make at least one trip to Walmart a week and each time she asks to ride the little rides in the front of the store. If I have change she gets to ride, if not, she doesn't. Other moms would cave into the pleadings and go and get change, but not me.

I find that kids today really do have too much. I look at the older kids who are driving and can not believe the cars that they have. They might be working for them, but are they saving any money for other things or are their parents footing the bill for everything else. Don't get me wrong, parents should pay for some things, but kids need to learn that money does not grow on trees. What we create by letting our kids live on the notion that they can have everything now is a society that is reliant on credit. When Sophia is old enough to drive, we will buy her a safe car and we will get her help with insurance and gas. Plus, she will be made to put some money into savings.

My parents paid for car and insurance, but I drove an old piece of junk that would not be safe by today standards. When I was a senior, I lived apart from my parents and I paid for my gas, clothing, and food. They paid my rent and for my car.

I am not a scrooge and I believe that kids need to have fun and should not be worried about bills and things like that, but there needs to be respect for where money comes from. Telling kids "no" will not hurt them and in fact may make them a stronger person.

Have a great day. It looks like it is going to be beautiful outside today!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

I hope we don't spoil our kids. I think they have more than I did growing up, but my parents skimped on some things because they bought a lot of land. I think we don't by everything the kids want and we try to think as to how long they will have it and what it might teach them. Craft supplies are one thing we don't need to question because they can them for so many different things. They teach creativity, patience and it can take a while to do which is good sometimes.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Amen! I wouldn't even want a fancy car when I was 16, anyways. I'm ambitous. I like the idea of having something to look forward to - and getting it on my own.

Hey, I'm serious! :p

2:39 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Mark - I agree, there are just some things you can not scrimp on. I know what you mean about you kids having more than you did. I honestly want more for my kids that I have. I want them to experience and do the things I did not have the chance to do.

Mimi - Parents should definitely do things for their kids. It just seems like the more kids get, the worse off they are. More kids today than ever have major credit card debt when they leave college. I think that this is because of the "must have it now" attitude. Maybe I am just jealous, becaue half of the kids out there drive a better car than me! Ha! Ha!

Ryan - Good for you! I am glad that I am able to count on you not being a statistic. It is just like you to go against the grain!!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home