day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Vacation, Sophia, Harry Potter....

We just got back from a week at the beach. It was a nice break from the usual. The weather was so hot that I even got into the ocean. This is something that I rarely do at the Maryland seashore. Give me the clear waters of the Caribbean or South Florida and I am more than willing to get in. I like to be able to see what is swimming with me, if you know what I mean.

We sat on the beach most days and visited the boardwalk several nights. Sophia of course loved every minute of this. She played so hard that most nights she was too overtired to go to sleep. She loved playing in the sand on the beach had a ball jumping the waves as they came in. She ate cotton candy and ice cream, played games in the arcade and rode several rides during each visit to the boardwalk. All of this made me think about what she was like last year. During our trips last year, she was not even walking and the only ride she could go on was the Merry-Go-Round, because we could hold her. She is definitely a little girl now and to me she finally is starting to resemble one.

On our first night home, she figured out how to climb out of her crib, so now we are in the process of hunting for a new bed for her. We will also have to change the decor a little bit, so I started looking for new wallborder for her room and during my visit to the wallpaper section at Lowe's I got a little weepy, because I came across the border that is currently in her room and it made me sad to think that she is not a baby any more. She will continue to grow and I will learn how to deal with it, such is life.

During our trip, my main goal (besides having fun with Sophia and Bob) was to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

(Spoilers ahead if you are interested)

I had read prior to reading the book that there was going to be major set up for the last book and that was totally the case, because the end of the book definitely left you hanging. I am not sure if I like Snape going bad, but I still think that there could be some change from him in the next book. I think that the bond he took with Draco's mother may have something to do with his current behavior. I always liked the way that Snape appeared bad, but really wasn't, so I am hoping for a change. He may up being Harry's person in the know (sort of like Dumbledore had always been).

I can totally see the way she is shaping Harry's character into an adult. He is making more decisions for himself and now is looking to the future and the ultimate end of the story. I feel bad for him in many ways. He gets close to somebody and they die and in this book he finally gets with the girl of his dreams only to let her go, because he fears for her safety. I am not sure if I like the idea of his leaving Hogwart's for the next book, but I think it will make for an even darker arena for him to battle the darker side of wizardry. As a writer she will have a much wider canvas to paint her story.

I was sad to see Dumbledore die, but as Harry's days at Hogwart's are over, he is no longer going to be an integral part to the story. I think that Hagrid will have a very small role in the next book, unless he decides that he will leave to be with Harry.

I am up for discussion on this. I may need to go back and review the book for a proper discussion. I know that I have missed some major stuff, but would gladly like to have them brought to my attention, so type away.

Have a great day!

5 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

Harry becomes hardcore. A Batman if you will. Wears muggle cloths, straps on a pair of .45s and finally learns some real magic (instead of relying on luck and his friends).

That would rock.

Otter

4:13 PM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Hey, so glad to hear your vacation was enjoyable. Sounds like it was so much fun to watch Sophia having a ball. Very cool!

OK, I could be entering major geekdom by typing all this, but here goes nothin':

* Dumbledore's death/Snape: I think, in some ways, his death is part of the long-term, anti-Voldemort, seven-year plan. Like he knew that Harry needed something that could only be given by his death . . . and Snape made that pact with Narcissa Malfoy for Dumbledore. I think that Snape's "badness" in this book is because he really IS the only "good" (and I use that term loosely) wizard that can get that close [ ] to Voldemort without arising his suspicion. When Dumbledore begged him . . . and Harry heard that as "pleading," I don't think it was pleading at all. I think Dumbledore was IMPLORING Snape to follow through on one of the most difficult things he had probably asked Snape to ensure --- making sure he was finished off. That's why when Harry confronts him and questions his courage, Snape ERUPTS as if in tremendous pain . . . because in Book 7, we'll learn about the plans that Dumbledore put into place with Snape, resulting in Snape killing Albus. I agree with you . . . Harry will come to value Snape, but it's hard to see now how that will be possible.

* Aunt Petunia: I think it all remains to be seen how Aunt Pentunia's role plays out in Book 7. Very interesting to think about what she might be/know/help with, as Book 7 unfolds. And by the way . . . will we find out what cats are, exactly, in Book 7? Because Crookshanks is definitely in the know --- remember how he chased Scabbers around, knowing the Scabbers was an animagus? Somehow, I think there's WAY more to Aunt Petunia than meets the eye.

* Sirius Black: I think we'll glimpse what's "behind the veil" in Book 7. I agree with you --- I feel so sorry for Harry because everyone he comes to trust and love ends up dead. It's really sad. I would like to think we aren't going to have any significant deaths in Book 7, and it would be nice to see what happened to Sirius, too.

* End of Series/Book 7: Tell me your thoughts on how JKR will wrap up the whole series, tying up all the loose ends, with only one more book . . . I noticed that she has taken such great pains to darken everything so significantly over the last three books, for certain (the cover art is just one reflection of what's inside the books, in terms of dark tones), but if Harry triumphs over Voldemort (and who can imagine he will fail?!), how is she going to show the restoration of everything from shriveled, dark and fearful into free, light and hopeful? It seems like an awful lot to expect out of just one book --- even if it rivals Book 5 in length. Do you think she'll use Book 7 as a springboard into a new series, using Harry as a background character or something? It just seems like she has so many more books in her about the wizard world . . . and I can't imagine it all be tied up in a neat little bow in one book (Book 7).

* Ginny Weasley: The seventh child and first girl in seven generations (did I read that right?) . . . she's not just Harry's true love. She's an integral part of all of this. She has to be. And if she ends up NOT being prominently featured in Book 7 or figuring heavily in the finale, I will be stunned. She was a huge player in Book 2 . . . there's something unique about her.

Okay, I am done being a total HP uber-geek. Thanks for the invitation to chat about it!

8:48 PM  
Blogger The Management said...

I agree with a lot of that. Aunt Petunia and Crookshanks most of all.

Petunia is a witch. Straight up. She just chose not to practice.

Crookshanks... Well I read something about him on JKR's website... See below...

Crookshanks, as JKR has already revealed on her website, is a half-blood; he is half cat/half kneazle. A kneazle is described (in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) as:

- "Intelligent, independent" and "has an uncanny ability to detect unsavory and suspicious characters." With these kneazle senses, Crookshanks could help the Order of the Phoenix considerably. Animagi do not fool him and I don't think the Polyjuice Potion would either (however, Crookshanks is scarcely mentioned in GoF).

- Having "flecked, speckled, or spotted fur, outsize ears and a tail like a lion's." The lion is a symbol of royalty and courage (Gryffindor) in many religions, astronomy, ancient Egypt and in general; therefore the prince is connected. Why would JK connect such a symbolic animal to Crookshanks? Maybe because his lion-like tail represents his position in royalty…

Still think Harry needs to go hardcore... Use some dark magic against his foes... Gotham Style, straight up.

Yo.

hehe..

Otter

10:59 AM  
Blogger Ms. Amanda Tate said...

Rock on, Otter. So glad I'm not on the HP short bus all by my lonesome. I'm in good company with LLL and you!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I was just thinking about what Rev said about Ginny and after looking around on the web I found something that said that the Weasley's could be the heirs of Gryffindor and that would explain why she seems so important. Not only that, but it was commented more than once about how talented the Weasley twins were and I think that they will definitely be important in the next book.

Snape will also be important and I did not give thought to Dumbledore's death scene, you shed some new light for me. I think that Snape will end up being the same as before, good. He has a great insight into the life of James Potter and may end up giving his life in the end.

I agree with Otter that I would like to see Harry's magical skills kicked up a notch. He needs to be able to compete with those on Voldemort's side. I think that if it comes out that Snape is good that maybe he planted that book for Harry to find, maybe he worked it out so that Harry could take that class. Maybe he is Harry's protector after all. He is a wonderful source for dark magic!!

Also, Petunia being a witch would make sense. She has probably been hiding the fact, since her sister died. She may also turn out to be a twist to the story on Harry's side.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home