day to day rambling...

Real and not always exciting adventures in life.

Name:
Location: Maryland
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday, August 28, 2006

Sunshine on a cloudy day...

One day you are pregnant, the next day the baby is born and before you know it, the child is starting preschool.

Well that is where we are right now. Yesterday, we went for an ice cream social at Sophia's preschool. It was a way to introduce the kids to the school and their teachers in a nice gentle way. Sophia loved it. She wanted to go back right after we left.

I never thought that I would be one of those moms who would worry so much about Sophia going to school. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that she is going. I think she will love going and enjoy making new friends. She will also love it, because she likes to learn knew things and I think she will look on it as an adventure. I have a feeling that I will be sad on her first official day. This will be the first time I will have taken her to somebody besides a personal friend or family member.

We have been so lucky that Bob's parents will take Sophia when we need them to and besides them, the only other people who have ever watched her have been Sophia's godparents and my friends Rhonda and Christy. I then think about how this is the beginning of her time away from me and in two years, she will be going to kindergarten, which, by the time she gets there will be all day, which means I will see her less than half of the time that she is awake. I will have to miss a good deal of the funny things that she says and does each day. I wonder how I will survive without her smile all day long. Her smile makes the bad times, so worth it. Just like the song says, "I've got sunshine on a cloudy day."

Maybe I am selfish. Many moms don't get the opportunity to stay at home with their kids. I am sure that they miss seeing their kids while they are at work. I could not imagine having to have gone back to work full time when Sophia was just three months old, but moms (and dads) make this sacrifice each day. Maybe I need to concentrate on this fact and think about how lucky I am to have had her all to myself for almost three years.

So when I feel the tears welling up on September 12th when I drop Sophia off to school, I will think about her smile and how lucky I have been over the last three years. Maybe that will help (in my heart I doubt it).

Give your mom and/or dad a special thought today for the sacrifices that they made for you (even if the sacrifices they made are not obvious).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home